If you’re looking to brush up on your cake decorating skills – or learn for the very first time – we’d love to help you! Our March cake decorating class has already filled up, but we have a second four-week class beginning in April. These classes will meet on Monday evenings from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm, beginning April 6. The registration is $40 (prepaid), and there’s a limit of six students – so stop by the store to reserve your spot today!
The agenda for each week is detailed below:
- Instructions for baking a cake
- Adding fruit filling between layers
- Method for frosting a perfectly smooth cake
- Information on equipment to simplify your job and storing unused colored frosting for later use
- Students will need only pen and paper for the first class. Additional supplies can be purchased after class this evening (not included in price of class).
- Simple borders, printing, and writing a message
- Drop flowers
- Rose buds
- Building a base to create a rose
- Rope and Reverse Shell borders
- Create a full rose
- Basket-weave technique
- Students complete an 8-inch basket-weave cake with a rose spray
Want to take your cakes to the next level? At the request of many of our customers, we’ve added a few new cake decorating classes to our lineup this fall! On October 20th, join us for a basic fondant class; on October 27th, we’ll offer a basic gum paste class; and on November 3rd, we’ll wrap up our fall series with class covering tiered cake construction and string work. Space is limited, so sign up in the store today! All three classes have a $25.00 registration (supplies additional) and will be held on Monday nights from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm at the store. Detailed descriptions of each class are listed below.
Basic Fondant Class:
This class will show you all you need to know to start working with fondant. You will be amazed at all you can do with fondant from small decorations, borders, covering your cake, and much more. You will also learn how to make your own fondant.
- Demonstration on marshmallow fondant
- Handling and storage of fondant
- Rolling out fondant
- Demonstration on covering a cake board
- Cover a cake in fondant (you will actually cover a cake)
- Borders (rope, embellished rope, ball and working with a clay extruder)
- Appliques (in-lays, overlays, cutting with cutters)
- Ruffles/layered ruffles
- Painting fondant
- Simple ribbon rose
- Cutting with letter cutters
- Print and cut template
- Roll and shape
Basic Gum Paste Class:
Now that you know how to work with fondant, you are ready to move on to gum paste. Learn how to make a bow with a blend of fondant and gum paste. You will also learn how to make beautiful gum paste flowers.
- Make a 50/50 fondant gum paste blend
- Make gum glue
- Review handling fondant and gum paste
- Cut and form loops for bow
- Make a gum paste daisy
- Make a gum paste calla lily
- Make a gum paste rose
- Make a gum paste carnation
- Make leaves and calyx
- Assemble bow
Tiered Cake Construction and String Work:
This class will show how to stack and tier your cakes for those special occasions such as weddings, showers, and birthdays. You will be amazed at how easily you can add string work to your project!
- Stacking cakes
- Using plates and pillars
- Dividing cakes
- Construct your own cake
- Making Royal icing
- String work
- Vertical drop string
- Drop string
- Overlapping drop string
- Embellishing with rosettes, drop flowers, and icing dots
- Transporting cake
Claude Monet is reported to have once said, “I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.” It seems only natural, then, that something so beautiful, something so powerful, should be featured as a centerpiece on so many cakes! Today, we’ll turn our attention to gum paste (or fondant) roses.
We have a large assortment of pre-made gum paste flowers, including single roses and rose sprays. Add an extra elegant touch to your next cake with no hassle whatsoever!
If you’d rather try your hand at making your own roses, we have rose cutters in a variety of sizes – from 50 mm up to 110 mm. Our JEM brand cutters are incredibly easy to use and create beautiful flowers anyone would be thrilled to receive on a cake or cupcake!
To give your roses a more natural look, brush on a bit of petal dust in a complementary color as your flowers are drying. Start with a heavier coat of petal dust in the middle of the bud, then lightly brush the edges of your roses to add depth to your flowers.
For a plethora of tips and step-by-step video tutorials, head on over to YouTube and check out Shawna McGreevy or CakePlayGround!
If you’ve been looking to brush up on your cake decorating skills (or learn the art for the first time!), then we have a golden opportunity for you! During our upcoming four-week cake decorating class, you’ll learn many professional tips and tricks from our expert instructor, Bianca!
Past participants rave about how much they’ve learned – if you’re interested in joining their ranks, here’s an outline of what will be covered:
Week 1 (no supplies needed this week):
- Instructions on baking a cake
- Adding filling between layers
- Frosting a perfectly smooth cake
- Equipment to simplify your job and storing unused colored frosting
- Simple borders
- Writing and printing a message
- Drop flowers
- Rose bud, leaves, and base of full rose
- Rope and reverse shell borders
- Complete full rose
- Basket weave
- Students complete an eight-inch basket weave cake with a rose spray
Our upcoming cake decorating class will meet on four Sundays – September 7, September 21, September 18, and October 5 – from 1 pm until 3 pm. The class costs $40 and has a maximum of 6 participants, so stop by the store to sign up today!
If you love baking and decorating, then you’ve come to the right place – because we do too! Welcome to the online home of My Son’s Cake and Candy Supply! We are pleased to bring you the highest quality ingredients and supplies for your cake decorating and candy making needs – and now, we’re even more pleased to introduce you to our blog! Through this blog, we’ll share with you about new products in the store, decorating ideas, and upcoming classes and demos. We’ll also give you a chance to find out a little more about our staff and instructors!
To get your creative juices flowing, let’s take a look at some ideas to help you host the most spectacular summer party ever! My Son’s stocks plenty of supplies to make your tropical dreams a reality.
- Perhaps you’d like to start with a few homemade chocolates – we have a variety of candy molds in luau-inspired designs, including sea shells, palm trees, flip flops, and sunglasses. You can even add one of our exciting LorAnn flavor oils to give your candy an exotic twist – such as coconut, key lime, mango, and pina colada (just to name a few)! A light dusting of our food-safe Empress Pearl dust will give your chocolates an irresistible shimmer!
- Next, how about renting one of our several tropical themed cake pans, including a pineapple, a palm tree, and a coconut. (Okay, the coconut is actually a sports ball…but it’s all in the decorating, right?)
- If you’re looking to doctor up a more traditional cake, our hand-made royal icing petunias provide a beautiful Hawaiian-inspired feel. We also have several cupcake picks and cake topper sets that can help you create a relaxing beach scene to top any cake!
- To provide a special twist for your cake, try adding a delicious coconut, key lime, or (back by popular demand!) pineapple ready-made cake filling!
- If you’re not in the mood for a cake (or if you’d just like to add a bit more sugary goodness to your lineup), perhaps you’d like to give cookies a try – flip flop cookies, at that! Using our decorator’s buttercream (made in-store), Americolor icing colors, piping tips, and royal icing drop flowers, you can turn perfectly ordinary Nutter Butter cookies into true masterpieces! (Or start from scratch with a flip flop cookie cutter and your favorite recipe!)
- Looking to make a splash at a pool party? You might be interested in creating some beach ball goodies. Cupcakes look great with a multicolored beach ball-style swirl and our sports ball pan can be used to create a one-of-a-kind beach ball treat!
If you have any luau or pool party ideas you’d like to share with us – or if you have any questions or are looking for suggestions for your own summer event – feel free to give us a call at (636) 279-3729 or send us an email at [email protected]!